Thursday, February 18, 2010

Creamy Tomato Basil Soup

The book I got this recipe from claims this soup is good as any you'll get at a restaurant. I totally agree, it was delicious! I used the marinara recipe listed in the post below.

I used our nifty hand blender to smooth the soup and that worked perfectly. I thought this soup was so good. I can't wait until I can go to the farmer's market and get fresh ingredients. I even used fat free half and half and it was still great.
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
3 1/2 cups half and half
1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, or 8 to 10 small vine-ripened tomatoes, diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, or 1/2 teaspoon dried

1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook and stir for 5 minutes to slightly brown the mixture. Whisk in the broth. Increase the heat and cook and stir until thickened. Decrease the heat to low, stir in the half and half, simmer for 20 minutes.

2. Stir in the marinara sauce, tomatoes, and basil, and cook until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve as is chunky style, or puree in a food processor or blender for a smooth soup.

Makes 12 cups



No comments: